Step Up for Ovarian Cancer this February
February is New Zealand Ovarian Cancer Awareness Month
It's when we tie up our laces and get active to support women with ovarian cancer.
Anyone can participate. All you need to do is be active, fundraise and raise awareness!
Why Ovarian Cancer Needs Your Support
For a long time ovaries weren't something many people felt comfortable talking about. Which meant ovarian cancer wasn't either. And because it wasn't talked about, people assumed it didn't matter.
But it matters a lot.
One woman is diagnosed every day and more women die from ovarian cancer than the road toll; melanoma; and all of the other gynaecological cancers combined.
And yet ovarian cancer is something many people have never heard of which means it can take a lot longer than other cancers to get diagnosed (a cervical smear doesn't check for ovarian cancer).
And once diagnosed, well... because there hasn't been as much research, the five year survival rate is just 37% compared to 90% for prostate cancer.
Which is why we Step Up in February to show women they're not alone and raise crucial funds for awareness, support, advocacy and research.
Simply choose your challenge, create a fundraiser on our Give A Little page and let people know what you are up to. It's that easy.
It's a great excuse to get out of the house and explore your local region.
Whether it's a 5km run, 10,000 steps, an epic bike ride or a leisurely stroller push - it all counts.
1. Choose Your Challenge
- Pick an activity - walk, run, cycle (or something else!)
- Measure your activity - in time, or steps or distance or destination
- Decide if you're going to do it one day, some days or every day in February
- And remember - it's not what you do, but why that matters most. You're stepping up to support people with ovarian cancer.
For example you could walk 10km once. Or 5000 steps every day. Run for an hour. Or cycle 300km over the month. You could do yoga three days a week or meditate every evening. It's really up to you!
All you need to do is get active, fundraise and raise awareness!
Want to take part in an organised event?
If you'd like to complete your Step Up Challenge as part of an organised event there are lots of non-affiliated sporting events being held around the country in February that you could join in on.
For ideas check out:
- Park Runs (weekly, over 40 locations, free)
- Running Calendar (lists walks, runs and multiport events across NZ)
2. Create Your Fundraising Page
Where your funds go:
Cure Our Ovarian Cancer is the only dedicated ovarian cancer charity in Aotearoa.
The funds raised through our Step Up for Ovarian Cancer Challenge will help to:
- Educate women on the symptoms of ovarian cancer to support early diagnosis
- Support women through every step of their ovarian cancer journey
- Advocate for better treatments
- Fund life-saving research with the aim of ultimately finding a cure
Get the T-Shirt
We have a limited supply of t-shirts (male and female) available for $30 plus postage.